Society6 products

Thursday, December 31, 2020

"Patience Pole" theory and highline for horse training

I prefer an overhead tie, or what is known as a "highline" in the world of horse packing and camping.  There is something else that has popped up frequently online lately, called a "patience pole", which serves the same purpose.  I started using this with my young horses after I had one that would completely freak out and pull back when tied to the hitching post after having an accident.  I think this is the safest way to tie if you can.


* If horse throws a fit, elasticity of branch and rope bounces them back. I actually had one rear and slip, falling over, and the branch and rope was so elastic, he bounced back onto his feet!

* If the horse does freak out when tied with this, the safest thing to do is stand back and let them sort it out... don't go in to try to untie them and get yourself hurt.  I have always had them calm down after a minute or so.

* make sure you use a swivel on the tie.  I have noticed that antsy horses tend to turn in the same direction, which means they will gradually twist and tighten the rope without a swivel.

* As always, horses are dangerous and unpredictable, so use this method at your own risk.


A little hard to see in this photo, but this is Pimms tied to an overhead branch at my grooming area.  I also have a solar, motion-activated light for returns after dusk, and a gravel pad with a rubber mat where they stand.


Christmas with the kitties

This will be our first Christmas with Kali (aka "Demon Baby"), whom we rescued from the cold last January when she was around 6 we...