Society6 products

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Some Favorite Grooming Products for Dogs and Horses

I just finished cleaning up some very dirty and muddy horses (and 1 long-haired dog), and it inspired me to post some of my favorite horse grooming products (many of which can be used on dogs as well!). 

                                                      First off, these Grooming Gloves...

I have tried numerous other types of scrubby mitts, bath mitts, and curry gloves, but these really have more teeth that actually get down to the skin.  As proof, my sensitive TB is not a big fan.  BUT, you can also use them on tails!  Just put your palms together with the tail hair in between and stroke down.  Works great!


The next product, I actually purchased from my vet, but it is available on Amazon, and I intend to buy more.  It is Hylyt Shampoo by Bayer 

My long haired Shepherd, Zoey, has had a problem with flaky skin and sort of a greasy-feeling coat for quite a while.  I have tried numerous shampoos and conditioners, to no avail.  I mentioned it to the vet, thinking she might need some sort of heavy duty dip treatment.  He quickly said, "Oh, that's no problem, we can give you a shampoo for that".  I looked it up, and reviews said it was full of fatty acids and didn't contain detergent. So, figuring it would take a couple treatments, I gave her a bath with it.

Wow!  One bath was all it took!  No more flakes anywhere to be seen on her skin, and her coat was super soft.  I really wish I had taken a before picture, as I was extremely impressed by the difference.  I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can try it on the horses.... particularly those prone to rain rot and fungus issues.

If you go through this stuff in large quantities due to having a kennel full of dogs or a stable full of horses, here is the gallon size for you.

Update: Works great on horses as well, and left their coats super soft and glossy.  I also love the fact that this is safe for cats. One of our kitties was neglected as a kitten and never learned to properly groom herself.  So she tends to get greasy and have lots of loose fur.  A bath with this shampoo leaves her soft and clean for a long time.  I am very impressed.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Christmas with the kitties

This will be our first Christmas with Kali (aka "Demon Baby"), whom we rescued from the cold last January when she was around 6 we...